Confessions of a Hoosier Democrat

Blogging Indiana Politics and the 2008 Presidential Race.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Everyone said there'd be days like these...

As much as you like any candidate, there will be times when you disagree with him/her. Today is such a day. Today Sen Bayh cast a vote in favor of the Constitutional Amendment banning the desecration of the American Flag. That is a vote that I wholeheartedly disagree with.

As much as I abhor the desecration of the Flag, I also understand that one of the reasons I wore an Army uniform is to protect the freedoms that our Constitution provides to us, including the freedom to desecrate an American Flag.

I'm sorry Senator Bayh, but I can't agree with you on this vote.

Moments ago the Senators cast their votes. The Amendment failed 66-34, by 1 vote.

Let Freedom Ring.

3 Comments:

  • At June 27, 2006 9:02 PM, Blogger Doug said…

    I'm just glad there is nothing better for these guys to do than try to amend the Constitution to address a "problem" that happens something like 4 times per year in the entire country.

     
  • At June 28, 2006 8:24 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Yeah I know. The Republican leadership would rather debate something as insignificant as this than tackle the real problems of the country.

    "Alex, can I have 'Pandering to the Base' for $500?"

    "Answer: Flag-burning, Gay Marriage, Estate Tax"

    "Question: What are the GOP Conservatives?"

     
  • At July 05, 2006 3:23 PM, Blogger afb said…

    Flag burning is somewhere after the 100th thing on our list of things we need to do.....but here we are debating it and wasting taxpayers money and our Senators time debating it. Personally I take great pride in honoring our flag but respect the rights of others who don't. I am really on the fence on this one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home