Confessions of a Hoosier Democrat

Blogging Indiana Politics and the 2008 Presidential Race.

Monday, June 12, 2006

The Cult of Kos

I'm going to say right off the bat, I'm not a fan of Kos.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything he's done to stimulate the Democratic Party. I love it when the left gets motivated! But he seems to have forgotten the warning that Uncle Ben gave his nephew Peter: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Kos and his band of merry men seem to make it a sport to try to tear down any Democrat who doesn't fit the mold they've established. If you don't think the same way they do in any number of different areas then you aren't a "true Democrat".

Ana Marie Cox wrote an article in the recent issue of Time... Inside the Cult of Kos... it's worth a read.

Kos says he doesn't care what other people think of him (not true, imnsho). Well in my opinion that's a problem. Like or not he's a leader now. And as a leader you have to act responsibly and not say things like:
Let the people see what war is like. This isn't an Xbox game. There are real repercussions to Bush's folly.
That said, I feel nothing over the death of merceneries. They aren't in Iraq because of orders, or because they are there trying to help the people make Iraq a better place. They are there to wage war for profit. Screw them.
when US citizens are murdered and their burnt bodies hung from a bridge.

I'm a moderate. The Democratic Party is about inclusion, not exclusion. I'm sure I believe 90% of the same things Kos does, but I consider myself a moderate. I don't believe we should pull out troops out now. I don't believe that Bush should be impeached unless we have ironclad concrete proof he's violated a law. I believe Evan Bayh, Harold Ford and other moderate Democrats ARE good Democrats. Because I believe those things I don't fit into Kos's Democratic Party. That's sad.

The Democratic Party is America's last, best hope to bridge the divisions of class, race, region, religion, ethnicity and sexual orientation. We will succeed if we continue to govern by the same principles that have made America the greatest nation on earth — the principles of strength, inclusion and opportunity.

3 Comments:

  • At June 18, 2006 7:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I just came across your blog. What I've read so far I really like! It's nice to know that there are other moderates out there. I'll read at more length and comment later, but I enjoy what you have to say, especially the parts about inclusion. It's well thought out and rational as opposed to extremist and emotional.
    Steven R. Harbin
    coachhollywood67@yahoo.com
    www.coachhollywood67.blogspot.com

     
  • At June 28, 2006 1:31 AM, Blogger Matt Brown said…

    Yes, Kos seems to think that their can only be one stripe of Democrat: liberal-minded. Lieberman is far too conservative for Kos, and so that's why he believes Lieberman must go. Obviously, Kos doesn't believe in the "big tent" idea of the Democratic Party. I'm sure he's taken Senator Reid to task for his views on abortion...

     
  • At June 28, 2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    An example of how Kossacks follow him like a pied piper... take for example Sen Bayh's Iowa trip. MSNBC posted a long story complete with an audio bit. All of us who support Bayh posted about it, yadda yadda. A week later, Kos has a story on it and suddenly EVERYONE is talking about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home