Confessions of a Hoosier Democrat

Blogging Indiana Politics and the 2008 Presidential Race.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Bayh and the Bloggers

Senator Bayh met with about a dozen Indiana-area bloggers on Monday to talk to them directly. IMNSHO the Senator needs to do more of this and often. The mainstream media may be where a majority of the public gets their information... but they're not the ones who generate buzz about a candidacy. It's the blogosphere. We can see the evidence of that by looking at the presumptive candidacy of Sen Feingold. Feingold is liberal, or rather he's LIBERAL. Personally I don't think that's a bad thing, I think Sen Feingold is a great Senator. But President, I don't think so. But look at any online poll out there and Sen Feingold will be at the top, most notably DailyKos.

The Blogosphere won't break a candidate... it won't make a candidate either. 3 years ago the blogosphere was all a twitter about Gov Dean and that propelled him to the front of the race for the nomination. But it couldn't sustain him. A healthy candidacy needs to capture the imagination of the Blogosphere as well as do all the things a conventional candidate does.

Ok... I seem to have strayed a little bit from my orginal topic... Monday's Blogger's Luncheon. As fate would have it, I was unable to get off of work to attend (I'm still rather peeved... Brian, Andy and Chris!). Advance Indiana, In The Agora, Bilerico, Indiana Barrister, Left of Centrist, Taking Down Words, Fort Wayne Observed, Indiana Blog Review, Indiana Progressives, Shakespeare's Sister , Torpor Indy , Reverent and Free and HoosierPlew...

I'm not going to go into a review of the meeting, it would be presumptuous of me to assume I could do a better job than the above bloggers did, especially considering I wasn't even there. But I think it's outstanding that the Senator would take time out of his day to meet with us. Shows he's forward thinking.

As a side note... at least one member of the MSM is maybe a little jealous... WISH-TV's Jim Shella...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home